Ancient Egyptian Music: “Hymn to Osiris” by Michael Levy

Home forums Mantras and Music Traditional and Folk Music Traditional and Folk Music from Other Cultures Ancient Egyptian Music: “Hymn to Osiris” by Michael Levy

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  David Gardner 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jordan Resnick
    Keymaster

“Hymn to Osiris” is a piece written by composer and “re-creator” of ancient music, Michael Levy. According to the artist, this piece is “performed on the archaic Ugandan Adungu arched harp – virtually identical in construction to the ancient Egyptian Shoulder Harp of the 18th Dynasty, c.1300 BC.”

Besides a few random fragments found here and there, there is very little surviving evidence of actual music notation from ancient times. However, using what little has been found written down, along with findings of ancient instruments (and consequently their unique notes, scales, and possibilities), people such as Mr. Levy are composing pieces today that attempt to capture the spirit of the music of the past and recreate what it might’ve actually sounded like.

Here is one of his ancient Egyptian pieces called “Hymn to Osiris”:

Osiris is described in myth as a wisdom bringer who initiated civilization in Egypt and other parts of the world. He represents the Spiritual Father, one of the three forces of creation along with Isis (Spiritual Mother) and Horus (Spiritual Son). See here for more information on the ancient Egyptians as a culture that descended from the lost civilization of the sun.

Lucia
    Participant

Thank you for sharing Jordan. I think it is great that this intitiative to unburry the sound and feel of the ancient Egyptian music exists, despite the scarce resources. Maybe these people will be guided by the beings from higher dimensions to create something authentic. 🙂

Justin Norris
    Keymaster

I have many of Mr. Levy’s albums, and his ongoing project to rediscover the music of the past on authentic instruments is very interesting.

He has similarly explored music of Mesopotamia and ancient Greece, much of which is very beautiful. In particular he has composed some music in the Greek style on an instrument tuned to just intonation (essentially, a more harmonious way of tuning than the system commonly used today) which I find really peaceful to listen to.

Ella
    Participant

Thanks Jordan, lovely music, really simple and graceful.

Justin, thanks too for the extra info on Levy’s work – I’ve since looked him up on YouTube and can sense I’ll be exploring him and his project to unearth ancient music more.

David Gardner
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing Jordan, that piece has something really special about it. Simple and yet beautiful. I think I’ll be looking into Michael Levy on youtube some more as well Ella!

Dara P
    Participant

Michael Levy is an interesting guy, I have some of his music too and it’s intriguing to hear an approximation of the style of music ancient people listened too, on period reconstructed instruments no less.

It takes a minute (for me anyways) to let my ears adjust to this kind of music, being accustomed to hearing modern tunings and instruments, but it does have its own beauty and simplicity. Plus it’s pretty neat that it gives you a little glimpse into what the ancient past may  have sounded like. Thanks for posting this one.

Karim
    Participant

Interesting to hear some of these lyre sounds from the past and to think that ancient people used to listen to music similar to this. Definitely very different from modern songs 🙂

I find this song and some others by him very nice. With the lyre the plucking of the string sort of catches your attention strongly and then almost straight away the after-tones bring a calmness. I also listened to some fragments of his Greek works after Justin mentioned those, they seem to have a softer (and bit more pleasant tone). Different style of lyre perhaps.

It’s funny how some faster songs or songs that speed up which use simple instruments can actually have the effect of bringing a quietness to the mind after, if done right.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

error:

Send this to a friend