"Be Thou My Vision" – Traditional Irish Hymn

Home forums Mantras and Music Traditional and Folk Music European

Folk and Sacred/Choral Music "Be Thou My Vision" – Traditional Irish Hymn

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Martin 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jordan Resnick
    Keymaster

“Be Thou My Vision” is a traditional Irish hymn dating back to sometime around the sixth to eighth century. It’s a prayer to the Spiritual Father (an aspect of the trinity understood to exist on a personal level in the Religion of the Sun), and also refers to “heaven’s joys” as the “bright heaven’s sun.” Translated into English, the lyrics are as follows:

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
    Naught be all else to me, save that thou art;
    Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
    Waking or sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my Wisdom, and thou my true Word;
    I ever with thee and thou with me, Lord;
    Thou my great Father, and I thy true son,
    Thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise;
    Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
    Thou and thou only, first in my heart,
    High King of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
    May I reach heaven’s joys, O bright heaven’s Sun!
    Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
    Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

There are countless versions out there by various artists and particularly modern Christian groups of course, but here are three that I thought to share here:

The first is by Camille Nelson with Alex Sharpe (formerly of the band Celtic Woman). I found this one quite nice with the guitar and violin, the nice shots of the Irish coast, and also liked that it was sung in Irish / Gaelic, which gives it a more traditional and different feel:

The second is entirely instrumental, played expertly on guitar by Taso Comanescu:

Finally, here is a more modern version played on piano and sung in English by Chelsea Moon:

Dara P
    Participant

Nice! I really like the Camille Nelson version with the beautiful scenery. It makes listening to the hymn all that more soothing, to see it set against such gorgeous and dramatic nature.

The words to this hymn are lovely as well, very inspiring and contemplative in a way that makes me feel like you can carry the message with you throughout the day. Thanks for sharing this one.

Anne Linn
    Participant

This is one of those songs I keep listening to. I like the devotion in it, the prayer, and just the melody too. Thanks for sharing all those versions of it.

Matthew Butler

Thanks for sharing this one Jordan. I’m not very familiar with traditional Irish music but I do like the Celtic style and sound.

This hymn is beautiful, both the melody and lyrics. It poignantly captures the longing to be with the spiritual Father.

That first rendition is very nice, and the breathtaking scenery adds to it. The instrumental version was performed beautifully too, and conveyed a sense of spiritual feeling even without the lyrics being present.

Martin
    Participant

Beautiful song Jordan, thanks for sharing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

error:

Send this to a friend