Dona Nobis Pacem – Cantus

Home forums Mantras and Music Music Dona Nobis Pacem – Cantus

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anne Linn 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anne Linn
    Participant

I wanted to share this beautiful song that I stumbled across only a few minutes ago 🙂

The lyrics are Dona Nobis Pacem – Grant us peace.

The composer of the song is Frode Fjellheim. Sung by Cantus.

I thought it was so lovely, kind of like a mantra. A prayer. The video is beautiful, filled with snow that slowly melts, the sun finally shining. It feels like spring and hope, to me.

Laura
    Participant

This is really beautiful Anne Linn! The video adds a lot to the music. I love how the women are wearing traditional costumes (Norwegian?), and I love that symbolism of the sun coming out and the snow melting, and the last image of the sun above the lake and between the mountains. And how the women are serenely and joyfully gazing up at the sky/the sun the whole time, even in winter, like faithfully waiting for the spiritual being to grant peace.

Lucia
    Participant

Very nice tribute to the spring! Thank you for sharing Anne, beautiful vocals too.

Karim
    Participant

What a lovely and thematic video showing that gentle introduction of spring from winter! Their clothing also looks very nice and traditional, and the song itself is soothing. Very nice and fresh find Anne Linn thanks!

Anne Linn
    Participant

I felt uplifted after listing to this song, when before I was feeling a bit down. Perhaps I got some of that spring feeling, of the sun finally defeating the cold and darkness.

Yes, those dresses are the Norwegian national costume called bunad. Most women have one in their closet (I do), and some men as well (not dresses, but something different ). Usually, you get one before your Confirmation. We wear them to weddings and the Constitution Day and such. And each region or even town has their own version of it, so they can look pretty different.

Laura
    Participant

Anne Linn, it’s nice you still wear your national costumes to events in Norway. We have very similar looking national costumes in Finland, in the same way too different regions and cities have their own version. But I think they are rarely worn nowadays. I know my grandma had one that she may have worn to her choir concerts or other events like that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

error:

Send this to a friend