First Simple Shrine

Home forums Items and Clothing Art and Ornaments First Simple Shrine

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Matthew Butler 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Ella
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Wanted to share my first shrine set-up, following the guidelines here. I made it just with items I already have at home, (including a Christmas decoration!) and the last of this year’s flowers from the garden! Though it’s small and simple, it does feel special when all three candles are lit. I’m still looking for the right images to create a bigger one …

Looking forward to seeing more solar shrines from around the world!

Simple Shrine Small

David P
    Participant

Nice one Ella, thanks for sharing. Just wondering, what kind of candle holder is on the left?

Lucia
    Participant

Nice Ella, feels very joyful somehow. 🙂 I really like that star, it has a sparkling feeling to it.

Ella
    Participant

It’s a Himalayan rock salt candle holder David… it’s not a pure pink, kind of an orange-pink.

Patricia
    Participant

Hi Ella

It looks like you’ve managed to find the key elements for combining all three divine aspects to your altar in a lovely, personalized way.  I like the sunburst/star too.  I just ordered this and I’m hoping to find a good way to make it look more like monstrance.

Anne Linn
    Participant

Beautiful Ella. It feels pagan and magical. I love the flowers, all the things from nature added to it.

Martin
    Participant

That’s a great looking shrine Ella,

I’m still trying to look into the meaning behind the objects, it seems there’s a lot to learn.

David P
    Participant

Yes I wondered that Ella, it might be a little too orange? The ones I’ve seen tend to be more orange than pink, to my eye anyway. I suppose that rock salt one would do though if you didn’t have anything else.

Jon Haase

Looks like quite a nice start Ella. Seems to have a very natural feel to it. Thanks for sharing!

Geraldine
    Participant

@ella that is a really nice ‘first simple shrine’! I really like that pine branch and pine cone – it gave it a really nice touch, and it must also give it a nice scent. Thanks so much for sharing.

@patricia – The little monstrance looks quite special! Very nice find and I’m sure it will look the part 🙂

Jordan Resnick
    Keymaster

Nice Ella – that was quick to be able to get all that together. Good work! Like Jon said, has a very earthy/natural feel to it.

Matthew Butler

I walked past a pine tree today and got a waft of its scent, and then I thought your shrine Ella 🙂 It’s not such a common scent here as they’re not native, so the scent really “hit” me — in a good way. It would be nice to have that indoors as part of a shrine. There’s just something spiritual about it. I take it you’ve got plenty of stocks of pine trees at hand in Slovenia?

Lucia
    Participant

Hi Matthew,

I hope you don’t mind if I also answer your question as it reminded me how just yesterday I wondered where that amazing frankincense-like smells comes from in our hall, until I found out that Rajko has gathered a lot of spruce logs for burning, which still had lots of resin in them. 🙂

Also from the coniferous trees, its mostly spruce growing here in Slovenia, even though the forests are mixed forests of deciduous and coniferous trees. Unfortunately, the big areas of spruce trees are being affected by the spruce bark beetles right now, and in some parts of the forests one can see big flat areas where the spruce trees had to be cut… 🙁

Laura
    Participant

Hi Ella, it’s a lovely sincere shrine. I love the calendula flower, it’s amazing I’ve seen it blooming even in late autumn here – like a touch of summer and the strength of the sun.

Matthew and Lucia, yes it’s interesting that I don’t think I’ve seen any pine trees growing where we are in the mountains, though I’ve seen them in lower regions in Slovenia. It’s just the spruce high up – and my heart does really ache for so many of them dying 🙁 When you go to the highest point of our mountain area, higher than we are, you come to endless forests of tall spruce trees where there are no deciduous trees, and indeed no other trees at all, where the beetles haven’t yet struck. I love the solemn and strong atmosphere they create, a mysterious stillness and twilight beneath their branches, and the mossy forest floor… It’s inspiring and reminds me of forests at home in Scandinavia.

Matthew Butler

Thanks for clarifying they are Spruce trees Lucia. Because we don’t have many native conifers in Australia (where eucalyptus reigns supreme), especially the corner where I live, if I see any evergreen coniferous foliage I tend to call it a “pine” although in reality that refers to just one type of conifer. I don’t think I’d ever heard of a “spruce” before to be honest.

We do have a few types of native cypress though in my area which would do nicely as a native evergreen coniferous option for an altar. Otherwise there are many introduced varieties of conifers grown in gardens and plantations here, including a few varieties from other parts of Australia that have a few native pines.

Sad to hear the spruce forests are being decimated by beetles. There are plantations of introduced pines here and I notice they have signs up about protecting them from “European House Borer” beetles. It seems conifers are really susceptible to this, probably because the wood is so soft.

Laura – those spruce covered mountaintops sound magical. Maybe the weather is too cold for the beetles that high up, so hopefully their location will provide them some protection in that area at least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

error:

Send this to a friend