Making Your Own Monstrance

Home forums Items and Clothing Art and Ornaments Making Your Own Monstrance

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Ella 18 hours, 36 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Jordan Resnick
    Keymaster

In the article “A Guide to Creating a Shrine,” it mentions that a monstrance can be used as a symbol of the Son. It also says, “These can be very expensive, so you could try and make your own as in the photo.”

In the photo in the article, the monstrance was created by attaching a horse brass to a brass candlestick. Here are a few examples of a horse brass on Etsy and eBay.

As you can see, some of the horse brasses in those links would work well as a monstrance in this way.

Vida Norris

Thanks for this Jordan! I was just looking up Monstrances earlier today and was shocked at how pricey they can be and thinking I’d try to make one myself. 🙂 There are some great options in there for sure.

Martin
    Participant

That’s very helpful Jordan, thank you.

Paty
    Participant

They are really beautiful Jordan. Actually, I wasn’t even familiar with the term

horse brass before now.

thanks for sharing!

Justin Norris
    Keymaster

That’s a great idea.

Many of those horse brasses (a category that I too never knew existed) seem really appealing and would also be nice decorative items for the home in their own right.

Layla
    Participant

I was shocked to find out how expensive they were too Vida.

Thanks for the info and links Jordan, I like this idea of making a monstrance and was wondering how the one in the article was and couldn’t find one that had that simplicity and beauty to it online, as many were very ornate and luxurious looking.

Kelly
    Participant

Thanks, Jordan. I was wondering how to make one, and this helps a lot. I also had never heard of a horse brass and was wondering what was on the top.

Olga
    Participant

Thanks Jordan for the ideas, as I was looking through I thought a sun mirror may also work if its the right size. (in combination with a brass/similar make candle stick holder)

Previously I was thinking to find christian/catholic or religious stores to see if they sold any monstrances as souvenirs/small cherishables.

Olga
    Participant

This sunbirst mirror makes quite the visual impression. It seems it also gives some clues how it can be crafted.

Lucia
    Participant

Thank you for the right keyword Jordan! I was looking into all kinds of things including Christmas stars or sunbursts (thanks to Paty), but could not quite find anything so suitable as the one that is on the sample shrine. I don’t think I would ever figure out that a word like “horse brass” even exists! 🙂

Paty
    Participant

Thanks for tip of the sun mirror Olga, one of those is really lovely.

I hadn’t about this alternative; and you are correct, it would need to be just the right size.

Olga
    Participant

There are also a few new & used monstrances for under $60 available on ebay.

Although can’t help but love the look of the $6,000+ ones…

Matthew Butler

Thanks for sharing Olga. Some of those secondhand monstrances look nice and much more affordable.

Otherwise the horse brass option looks good too. Like others, I’d never heard of the term horse brass either 😉

Lucia
    Participant

Those are nice Olga, I really like this one for example, as it has also cross included in its design and even adjustable height.

Regarding other monstrances, I have some questions to ask regarding their symbology. For example is it ok that they often have an “empty void” in the center, or sometimes a cross above the sun (which somehow does not feel right to me, I thought I would just cut off that cross if I got one like that, in order for the cross not to be above the Sun). Here is an example of the one like that, with a void and a cross atop.

Zorana
    Participant

That sunburst mirror is nice, Olga. I like how it incorporated the three rings too. Intentionally, of course 😉 Some of those more affordable eBay ones are really, really well made. I’m a fan of this one meself. Thanks for starting this topic, Jordan. It’s great to get creative input like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

error:

Send this to a friend