Necropolis in San Agustin, Colombia

Home forums Ancient Sites Central and South America Necropolis in San Agustin, Colombia

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Daniel
    Participant

The San Agustin Archaeological Park is located in San Agustin, Colombia, in the southwest of the country, approaching the border with Ecuador, and is nestled on the eastern side of the northern part of the Andes mountain range. UNESCO considers it the largest collection of “pre-Columbian megalithic funerary monuments”, and UNESCO also considers it a world heritage site.

There are many different statues scattered around a 50 sq km site. Some that may be of interest in terms of the religion of the sun:

This shows an eagle with a serpent in its’ talons and beak, perhaps a reference to the feathered serpent theme seen in the religion of the sun.

aguila

Photo by Aztlek / CC BY-SA 3.0

These next two photos are of statues known as “Doble-Yo” statues (literally translates to “double I”. I as in “I, myself”). It appears to show men with figures sitting atop them that have human-like faces but animalistic features such as fangs or cat-like limbs.

dobleyo

Photo by Jorge Lascar / CC BY-SA 2.0

The statue above also sits in front of a large grave.

dobleyo2

Photo by Atlzek / CC BY-SA 3.0

These “doble-yo” statues may be reminiscent of the jaguar warrior figures of the Aztec culture that was centered further north in modern day Mexico.

Alignments

At this stage I cannot find any reference to any significant solar alignments. However from the videos I have seen of the site, it appears that the statues do not all face the same direction, so there may not be any significance to the directions they are facing.

This video shows a good visual overview of the statues found there (Spanish with English subtitles).

Sources:

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/744

Ella
    Participant

That’s funny Daniel, I stumbled across this site just before seeing your post!

It seems it’s a huge complex – this is from the UNESCO site:

The largest group of religious monuments and megalithic sculptures in South America stands in a wild, spectacular landscape. Gods and mythical animals are skilfully represented in styles ranging from abstract to realist.

It would be interesting to know more about this site, any solar alignments in particular.

Daniel
    Participant

One thing maybe worth mentioning as a point of interest. The doble-yo statues have been thought of by psychologists who have taken an interest in these statues, to be representative of a human with an animalistic “double” of themselves haunting over them in a way. They speak of the animals as being representative of their egos (more in the Freudian sense, not so much the esoteric sense that readers of this sight might understand the word “ego”).

The people saying that don’t necessarily have an esoteric backing so not sure about how much to put in their opinions. It’s interesting to ponder though, and may explain all the graves around this place. Perhaps representing the elimination of the egos they are fighting against that haunt over them.

Karim
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this one Daniel, never seen it before. I haven’t looked into more apart from a few clicks on the internet, but it does seem like a nice site.

It seems some of the statues do carry symbolism from which represent things related to the spirituality of the sun. Like the eagle and serpent. But maybe those symbols were part of the general culture at the time as well and so something used all around, even though this site might not be particularly one directly used by a group practicing a religion of the sun prominently.
    A bit like how Christianity’s symbols are found in many things, in many places and many years later.

It’s an interesting thought though that, apart from the Egyptian Giza plateau, there are more graveyard sites from different cultures around the world which intentionally also represented the esoteric graveyard/crossover place.
    Do you know for example if this site was known as a cremation ground/graveyard, yet no human remains were found, that sort of thing?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

error:

Send this to a friend