Slovak National Folklore dances

Home forums Mantras and Music Traditional and Folk Music Traditional Slavic Slovak National Folklore dances

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lucia 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lucia
    Participant

I thought I would post here some examples of Slovak national folklore dances, in case they may contain some solar symbology. 🙂

The first one enacts the welcoming of spring, the second one is a dance called “Karička”.

And here is a video with explanation how to dance the Karička dance (in Slovak only, but the movements are self-explanatory):

Jenny Resnick
    Keymaster

Very nice dances, Lucia 🙂 I think in the last one some of the choreography seems to be similar to the patterns formed in the Russian round dances you shared before — like the serpentine chain, circles and concentric circles, etc. It seems like it was popular in Slavic dance to work that type of symbolism in.

The first dance, I’m guessing they did it as all women, since spring is often more associated with femininity (mother earth, etc.) in Slavic traditions (or at least in Russian tradition). But I think it would work equally nicely (and maybe even nicer imo) if it was a balance between men and women, especially for some of the chains / gates and couple formations.

Strangely I didn’t even notice that the last video is not in a language I speak 🙂 . I like how the dance is interwoven with the song. What are they singing, by the way?

Lucia
    Participant

Hi Jenny,

Most of Slovak folk songs, as far as I noticed, sing about the relationships between single women and men, often in a humorous way, and sometimes with sad words but yet a joyful melody. 🙂

In the video, the girls sing 3 short songs, which are sometimes hard to understand as they sometimes use the words in a dialect. But they go something like this:

I have a new pair of boots, and a boyfriend who is very naughty. Huhu-raj, huhu-raj (just some words that mean nothing, but sound good for the song) here, my dear, give me your hand.”

Green grass, I had a boyfriend,
    he fought (in a war) for 2 years and I waited for him.
    They say that a poor girl may not marry anymore…
    Green grass, I had a boyfriend,
    he fought for 2 years and I waited for him.

The third one is in a dialect quite hard to understand, but also sings about a boyfriend and his girlfriend who looks like a forest violet and encourages the musicians to play for them.

Regarding the Spring dance, I agree, it must be something like connecting spring to more feminine values, growth, awakening of Earth after winter, etc… They even sing there “The Queen has sent us…”

Otherwise it is quite common for Slovak folk dances for men and women to dance together, for example you can see the “gate” formed by the men, while the women pass under it ifrom 7:19 to 7:24 of this video., which depicts various dances and songs from the Slovak region called “Horehronie”.

Another typical dance where men and women dance together is Polka, here is a nice video of it:

And here is a funny but popular dance called “a hat dance” that men dance as a form of teasing game, where the point is not to lose the hat, and if somebody does, he needs to go out of the dance, until just one winner stays. 🙂

Jenny Resnick
    Keymaster

Ah, I see. I noticed the same thing about Russian and Ukrainian songs for summer solstice and spring equinox, unfortunately — often about “love” and finding a partner, and nothing to do with the events themselves. If you don’t speak the language you wouldn’t know it though, with all those beautiful outfits and seasonal themes ?. But once you know, the magic is kind of lost… (at least for me). That’s why I liked the Birch dance from those traditional round dances — no lyrics, just beautiful symbolic movement.

I do like the simplicity, joy, and innocence of these dances though overall. Just think they would be extra special when combined with the correct music / lyrics and a meaning that corresponds to the events.

Lucia
    Participant

Ahhh, maybe I misunderstood your question, but I translated the lyrics for the “Karicka” dance. The Spring welcoming one has different lyrics, something like “The queen has sent us to wish you a beautiful spring”… nothing esoteric though. 🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

error:

Send this to a friend