This symbol represents the source of all creation. In the book The Path of the Spiritual Sun, it is explained that:
“These rings represent the three primary forces that emerged from the unmanifested source of creation, as the Trinity of the Father, Mother, and Son. The outer ring is reached when someone merges with the Son, which they need to do before they can reach the second inner ring where they merge with the Mother. It is only by reaching the second ring that they can then reach to the innermost ring where they merge with the Father. From there a person’s consciousness has become whole again, which is represented by the dot of the innermost ring, symbolizing unity. From unity they can return to the unmanifested source of creation.”1
This representation appears in Dante’s Divine Comedy where he describes a vision of the creator as three orbs, which are the three concentric rings of the source.2 An illustration of that scene can be seen in Gustav Dore’s Rosa Celeste: Dante and Beatrice gaze upon the highest Heaven, The Empyrean.3
In nature, scientists have found this pattern in the cosmic microwave background (the cosmic glow present everywhere from the creation of the universe).4 In a separate study by John Stuart Reid and Eric Larson, using cymatics (a field of study that demonstrates the visual effect of sound) it was observed that playing the mantra “om” (another symbol of the sun) the patterns produced was the three rings of the source of creation.5
This symbol can be encountered in ancient rock art from different cultures, commonly in the USA, South America, Europe, and the Canary Islands, as well as in the petroglyphs of Northern Europe.6
And it has been found incorporated into ancient sites in Europe and Asia Minor, such as for example the site of Arkaim in the Ural Mountains region of Russia, organized in three concentric rings. Another interesting site that appears to incorporate this symbol is the ancient sun temple discovered in China’s North West Xinjiang region. A Bronze Age site currently in the process of being excavated in Dublin, Ireland has also been revealed to be shaped as a vast triple-ditched ring barrow forming this symbol when viewed from the air.7
Interestingly this symbol was found as a prominent intricate design element in the Comerford gold crown, an artifact found in Ireland in the 1600s, though likely discovered on continental Europe. It dates back to the Bronze Age, and unfortunately went missing shortly after its discovery.8 This crown is believed to be related to the four gold Bronze Age hats found in Europe, which are assumed to have been insignias of solar deities and priests of a solar religion widespread in the area in that time period.9
Recently, 4000 year old ornaments in the shape of a lozenge with the three rings of creation symbol in the center have been discovered in Hyderabad, India.
- Illustration of Dante’s vision of the creator by Gustave Doré. Public domain image found here.
- Three concentric rings pattern in the cosmic microwave background of the universe. Image is from The Path of the Spiritual Sun: this work has been recreated based on the research by Roger Penrose and Vahe Gurzadayan, 2010. Background is a public domain image from NASA / WMAP Science Team. More information about the study here
- Guanche three rings of the source of creation symbols on wall art. Photo licensed from Bigstock.
- Three rings symbol at the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site near Tularosa,
New Mexico, USA. Image licensed from Alamy
- Ceramic from late Bronze Age (1100-800BC)in Spain (San Román de Hornija, province of Valladolid). Photo by José-Manuel Benito Álvarez [CC BY-SA 2.5], via Wikimedia Commons.
- Artist’s impression of Arkaim, an ancient site in Russia. Painting by Lola Lonli. “Arkaim Shining”. 2001. Shared by Denis Sklyarskiy, by CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons.
- Sego Canyon Petroglyphs. Photo by inkknife_2000, by CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons. Image has been modified.
- Bronze Age Comerford Crown sketch. Public domain image found here.
- Rock art from Patagonia, Argentina. Photo licensed from Bigstock.
- V-bar-V National Park petroglyphs. Photo licensed from Bigstock.
- Sun symbol amidst petroglyphs at Newspaper Rock, Utah, USA. Photo licensed from Bigstock.